Monday, October 6, 2008

State level voting

Andrew Gelman has a fascinating series of charts that show the trend in voting patterns from state to state. Poor voters are much more likely to vote Democratic in a given state than rich voters, except in the absolute core regions of Republicans such as Texas.

I grew up in California, and went to school in New York, the only two states in the US that are blue for all three of the income levels. Sometimes I am secretly proud of myself for rejecting parts of my liberal roots, and then I worry that an irrational desire to be contrarian was part of the shift. But after seeing a Democratic dominated congress rush this horrible bailout plan, I become less worried for myself. I would say that the events of the last four months have made me less dogmatic about politics overall.