Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Tuesday Statisticz: Music that makes countries rich, Part I

Alright, so the idea here was to look at the types of music that rich countries tend to listen to, without assuming too much causation but still looking for cool trends. I downloaded the 10 "Top Music" choices from different countries on Facebook's network page, only choosing networks with 100,000 plus members, because otherwise the top 10 lists aren't very representative. I found the GDP by country in 2007 here, and the population levels by country in 2007 here.

Unfortunately, I realized once I had aggregated all the data just how ambitious of a project this will be, and I'm unsure of exactly how to go about it. However, I didn't want to leave my loyal readers without anything, so I made a map on R of the countries who are included in my dataset. These are the countries that have 100,000 people in their facebook network, excluding Britian, Canada, and the US, whose networks are clustered into individual regions, making it impossible to determine their "Top Music" choices as a country. Here's the chart:

This map is fairly interesting to me in its own right. It seems that most of the international facebook use is clustered in Western Europe, Southeast Asia, and South America. I was particularly surprised to see that the "Russia" network had so few members, but maybe Putin threatened to kill anybody giving too much support to American institutions.

Anyways, check back next week for part 2. I'm excited.