Friday, March 19, 2010

The "Old Shit Was Better" Effect In Action

Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland has largely flopped on imdb--7.0 with 25k votes and likely to fall further. Maybe it will even drop to below average (6.7) territory! But also in the past week, his 1990 movie Edward Scissorhands has been making a surge. It's on the top 250 (albeit #250 exactly) for the first time I can remember, and I've been following this thing for about three years. Anyway, if I'm right and if this generalizes, it suggests that it is not only time but actually the contrast of recent bad work that makes an artist's "old shit" look so appealing.

####

It's such a sad state of affairs that I've been reduced to putting expletives into neutral-distancing scare quotes. My high school self would be like, ashamed.