Sunday, February 14, 2010

Testing Short Run / Long Run Coolness

It's time for me to put my theory on coolness to the test. I've tried to determine some traits / behaviors that are fun / helpful in the long run as opposed to the short. Here are a few of them:
  • Flossing on a consistent basis
  • Extreme sports (i.e. bungee jumping)
  • Doing something else instead of doing your assigned school work
  • Opening a bottle with your teeth
I've tried googling "cool activities" to get ideas but it's mostly just propaganda. Adults trying to say that things are cool in the hope that they will magically become cool, when in the reality the opposite is probably more likely. I'll hopefully end up with 5 that I think of generally as in the "cool" category and 5 that I think of generally as in the "not cool" category.

What I want to do is to run two tests. In the first one people will rate whether the given trait / behavior is more fun or smart in the short run or the long run, and to what degree. In the second one people will simply say how "cool" the given trait / behavior is. There should be a correlation between how fun / smart the trait / behavior is in the short run as opposed to the long run and how cool that trait / behavior is. Granted, it won't be causation but it'll be a start. E-mail me if you have any ideas for traits / behaviors you think might mess up the theory and that I should therefore test. I'm game for whatever.