Monday, January 4, 2010

Time Transparency in Blogging, 2009

People often ask me how much time I spend blogging. I've been keeping track of this for the past year and now I can finally say with some degree of preciseness. Here's the monthly breakdown:

January: 7 hours, 12 posts
February: 7.5 hours, 19 posts
March: 8.25 hours, 16 posts
April: 10.75 hours, 17 posts
May: 7.5 hours, 13 posts
June: 9.5 hours, 15 posts
July: 1.5 hours, 4 posts
August: 2.5 hours, 3 posts
September: 9.75 hours, 13 posts
October: 12 hours, 20 posts
November: 10.25 hours, 13 posts
December: 9 hours, 12 posts
Overall: 95.5 hours, 157 posts
Time Spent Per Week: 1.83 hours, 3.01 posts

Click here for the raw data. Click here for all of my posts in 2009.

I write down how much time I spent blogging the previous day when I wake up in the morning. The numbers are almost all in half hour blocks because being more detailed than that would be infeasible.

These numbers are only for time spent specifically researching and writing posts on this blog. They do not account for the time I spent reading articles that I eventually ended up blogging about, which I almost certainly would have done anyways. They are estimates and certainly not exactly correct. But I do strive not to be systematically biased either towards too much or too little time and round appropriately.

Bottom Line: When I say that it does not take long to upkeep a reasonably decent blog, I mean it!